An article published during the Food Science and Human Wellness journal in June in 2009 noted the moringa oleifera?leaves are loaded in calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, iron and copper.
They also contain vitamins A, B, C, D and E.
Housewife Nesam Dodwell, 81, has her own moringa tree, through which she harvests the leaves for a stir-fry with shallots, garlic and coconut milk.
I got moringa leaves for an Indian grocery shop.
The person who owns an Indian spice shop inside of neighbourhood market also shared her recipe – a moringa and dhal stir-fry without coconut milk.
She also suggested using fried whitebait for a topping.
I combined the two recipes.
The moringa leaves are bitter. Should you must, put in a little sugar to balance against each other.
(Serves two with rice)
- 150g moringa oleifera leaves
- 40g chana dhal (dried split chickpeas)
- 350ml water (for boiling chana dhal
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 30g dried whitebait, rinsed and dried
- ? tsp black mustard seeds
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 green chilli, halved lengthwise and de-seeded
- ? tsp salt
1. Destem moringa leaves and discard stems. Wash leaves and set from a colander. Make time for.
2. Rinse and soak chana dhal for Thirty minutes.
3. Rinse chana dhal again and put in a very pot with 350ml of water. Bring to a boil. Boil, partially covered, on medium-low heat for Half-hour. Power down heat and discard liquid. Schedule boiled dhal.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil inside a pan. Place whitebait in pan and fry over medium-low heat until golden and crisp. Place whitebait on kitchen paper to empty excess oil. Put aside.
5. Within a clean pan, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium heat. Add black mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add chopped shallots and garlic.
6. Fry until shallots and garlic are softened and start to brown.
7. Add dried red chilli and green chilli. Lower heat.
8. Add moringa leaves and fry over low heat for 10 mins until tender.
9. Add boiled dhal and season with salt. Stir-fry for someone else 2 minutes.
10. Garnish with fried whitebait and serve.
A type of this story first appeared inside the New Paper on September 14, 2017, using the headline, ‘Head Chef: Moringa leaves and dhal stir-fry’.